Thursday, January 1, 2009

Momma who bore me...



I'm in a really slow soppy music kinda mood today.

Playlist
Momma who bore me-Spring Awakening
Baby I'm yours-Arctic monkeys
Never an absolution & hymn to the sea-titanic
Auld Lang Syne by-Straight no chaser
Till kingdom come, Fix You, What if, And many more-Coldplay

And the likes :)

i've really been thinking alot lately about religion and ofcourse my own religion: Buddhism. More than ever do I take refuge in it. I was never very religious as a child or pre-teen but ever since I began to develop depression it has become much more of a comfort to me. When all else is abandoned I still have the the three jewels to comfort me and the eightfold path to guide me. I have especialy been thinking about a large teaching in buddhism which is that of togetherness. I recently had a discussion with a very good friend of mine about kindness. Her view was that you can not be kind to others until you are kind to oneself. I, I am ashamed to say, accused her of selfishness. However I stick by my words. Although i see her point I still believe she abuses the idea so she can feel comfortable not putting forth much effort to be kind on her bad days. The converstion really made me think. And although I did not say it at the time I have since remebered one of my favorite buddhist teachings that perfectly sums up the matter. Now he said this as he spoke of the togetherness of all peoples of the world (which by the way is a belief I put a lot of store in). I believe strongly in the rule of karma and how everyone is connected so this saying really rings true with me, and it is something I try to keep in mind every day. The Buddha once said: "Any kindness you practice on anyone else is truly a kindness to ones self" if that isn't proof of his enlightenment I don't know what is :)

No comments: