Sunday, December 7, 2008

well it got me thinking...

SO I'm currently righting an Essay on "To Kill A Mockingbird" and it's showing me a lot about the current state of society. I mean it hasn't really got much better on the acceptance front since those days has it? It seems as if, maybe, these days we s a people are a little more ashamed of it, keep bigotry on the hush hush, and most people would say thats a step forward. But is it really? Now I'm no dummie, I'm OBVIOUSLY thankful (especially with our new president!!!) that racism seems to not factor so much into our goverment or serious things like murders anymore. But it is far from dead. Infact I would even venture to say that our lives are now more consumed by bigotry than ever before! We now not only seperate people by their place of origin or color of thein skin but by every minescule facet of their being! Modern society analyzes and judges everyone until the can be put into sub-group after sub-group until we are all really outcasts, categorized into alone-ness, and some how proud of it. Now don't geet me wrong I'm all about individuallity (i like to consider myself a very unique person) but is any of that really worth anything if we are, indeed, alone? So was it maybe better than when things were simpler? When society was not so analytically crazed? Maybe it was easier to be able to only have to get past one barrier of acceptance (skin color) than all these new walls we've put up for ourselves. Maybe?

No comments: